Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Hymn for Sunday

Nearer, Still Nearer

Words & Music by: Lelia N. Morris, 1862-1929

Nearer, still nearer- close to Thy heart,
Draw my, my Savior, so precious Thou art;
Fold me, O fold me close to Thy breast,
Shelter me safe in that "Haven of Rest,"
Shelter me safe in that "Have of Rest."

Nearer, still nearer- nothing I bring,
Naught as an off'ring to Jesus my King-
Only my sinful, no contrite heart;
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart,
Grant me the cleansing Thy blood doth impart.

Nearer, still nearer- Lord, to be Thine,
Sin with its follies I gladly resign-
All of its pleasures, pomp and its pride;
Give m but Jesus, my Lord crucified,
Give me but Jesus, my Lord crucified.

Nearer, still nearer- while life shall last,
Till safe in glory my anchor is cast;
Through endless ages, ever to be
Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee,
Nearer, my Savior, still nearer to Thee.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this song, Ashley!!! I really like this song, and coincidentally(???) I am working on learning this song for a quartet (piano, flute, harp, and violin) with some teens from my church.

If you get a chance, check out my blog! I have posted several entries recently.

Love,
Your sister in Christ,
Lydia W.

The Kendalls said...

Ashley,

I did get the blog question figured out thanks.

I listened to the song "Grace" the other day.
Wow, I know what you are talking about now.
It was so moving.... thanks for telling me about it.

Love,
Christiana

Sarah said...

Beautiful. That is the one thought that came to my mind when reading the words to this hymn. They really spoke to my heart! Thank you for sharing them, Ashley!

Ashley said...

You are so welcome Lydia!!! This is one of those hymns that I really enjoy singing... it fits every situation, for we can use those times to draw nearer to our Lord. I pray that I continue to draw nearer to our Lord throughout my own life.

I hope the quartet practices go well for you! I KNOW it will be beautiful and point others to the Lord!

Thank you for your comment!
~Ashley



Christiana- I'm sorry I wasn't here to answer you question, but I'm really glad that you got it figured out!! :OD

"Grace"... yes... moving is definately the word. I had to go read the words to figure out if I was 'hearing' the song correctly...

Thank you for your comment! :o)
~Ashley


Sarah- How good it was to see your comment!!! I'm glad that the hymn was an encouragement to you. When my eyes fell on this hymn I knew I had to post it... it echoed the cry of my heart.

~Ashley