Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Rain... Rain... Rain...

It's been a rainy yet delightful past day and a half! We've most certainly enjoyed our time spent indoors doing and focusing on things that are not 'everyday'. We had a good reason to be indoors... a little rain isn't enough to keep us from being outside, but when it's a downpour most of the day, then we do our utmost to stay dry. In the past thirty hours we've received just shy of five inches of rain!!! It's made feeding critters rather interesting... and wet!

View from my room...
As of yesterday around 4:00, which is when the rained slacked off enough for me to hasten out a give the critters an early feeding, we had received right at the inch and a half mark- per our rain gauge. When I woke up this morning I was surprised to see that the pond had tripled in size!!

Close up
It rained hard and steady all night long not slacking off until around 10:00 this morning. In addition to the water that the pond receives, it also holds the water draining from the front yard. I'm surprised, yet not really, that there was this much of a change from yesterday afternoon!! It's really neat! I'm already thinking a canoe ride is in order as soon as I find the canoe!! :o)

A wet and excited dog!! :o)
I headed out for a walk around 11:00 to clear my mind and to see the sights. Jasper had been outside for sometime already, but he was so happy to have me out there with him! It was seriously swampy out there... you don't quite leave footprints as you walk but it's 'pert near close'!!! There's been a nice wind most of the day which should help towards drying things out. I love seeing the ripples that it makes on the pond...

Stayin' busy...
So what have we been doing during the rain? Well, Mommas been working on making the house more into a home. Right now she's working on cleaning out her china which includes washing it and, to an extent, re-arranging the furniture that holds it. She and Sawyer took a break to make cookies this morning. Have I mentioned that Sawyer l.o.v.e.s to bake?

Hibernatin' in the sewing room...
I've spent every free moment of the past few days working in the sewing room. Some denim has been my focus and I ventured into uncharted territory by doing two rows of top stitching along each seam. My seam ripper and I are getting to be good friends these days... I feel as if I've done more 'picking'/ripping out than I've done sewing!!! :o) It's all for a good cause and I'm really enjoying the end result!

It all started out...
This was taken last Friday as I began cutting out the fabric. It was chilly in the house and the back porch offered me the perfect spot to get warmed up, naturally!!! It most certainly did the trick!
Despite the fun stuff we've been doing, I'm already looking forward to the sun coming out once again! It will be such a cheerful event!!


8 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! You all have gotten a lot of rain, Ashley! The pond got really full! Did you get your canoe ride?

Jasper is hilarious! He seemed just a bit excited to see you. ;)

You know, you are so creative in your method of sewing . . . I would never have thought to go out in the beautiful outdoors to cut something out! That would make it so much more enjoyable! How did the top-stitching go?

Mmm . . . I am sure those cookies that your Momma and Sawyer made were good! That's wonderful that he enjoys helping in the kitchen so much.

Thank you for sharing all of the photos, Ashley! Once again, they were very enjoyed. :)

Anonymous said...

Your house looks so beautiful. Does your mother love antiques? Thank you for showing us your sewing projects.

Ashley said...

It was so good to hear from you, Sarah!!! I really enjoyed your comment!

Cutting a pattern out IS much more enjoyable outside... it's a bit trickier to get the grainline mark lined up with the selvage, but it's well worth it!
The top stitching went well. The side seams were challenging as they were done AFTER all four pieces of the skirt were sewn together and I had to pick portions of them out and re sew them before I was happy with the look. Overall, I'm very pleased with how it turned out! :o)

No I'm afraid that I still haven't had my canoe ride... it's been a little busy over here!

~Ashley


Anonymous- Welcome to my blog! Thank you for your comment!

Oh yes, both my Mother and I LOVE antiques. My Momma loves to incorporate them into her decor with her sewing room being her favorite spot for them!
~Ashley

Ashley Sebo said...

Oh, Ashley! I just love rain! It's such a neat thing to hear the rain pitter and patter on the windows and roof!

I can relate to becoming well aquainted wih ripping and tearing out seams! Such fun...*wink*

Have a wonderful evening!

Anonymous said...

Ashley, Where are you? Hope everything is well with your family.
Julianne

Ashley said...

Ashley Sebo- Do forgive me taking so long to respond to your comment. It's been a busy few weeks here!

I, too, love to hear it raining outside and since I posted we've received a TON of rain!! As in, close to ten inches now! I love hearing it fall in the evening as it makes the house seem cosy and warm.

Thank you so much for your comment! I truly enjoyed it!
~Ashley

Ashley said...

Julianne- Thank you for your sweet comment and for your concern! I do appreciate that...

It's been a busy few weeks since I last posted ~ fall/winter cleaning, quilting, sickness, 'orchestra' rehearsals that culminated in performances, a bit of gardening, animals, hmmm... I can't remember what all's gone it, I just know that it's been busy!

My family and I are doing great!! Thank you so much for your comment...
~Ashley

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley :o) I just stumbled upon your Blog. My daughter,Skye, and I just started one each. Wow.. you sure did get a lot of rain! Your puppy was hysterical btw. :) I read your "About Me," section to my daughter. You two have a lot in common. I'm sure she'll be following your Blog soon too. Here's a link to hers :) http://skyesworld12.blogspot.com/