Monday, November 2, 2009

A Recipe...

It's been requested that I share the recipe for the brownies that I shared in a post last week. Since I have a tried and true brownie recipe that everyone absolutely loves I'm beginning to expand my horizons a bit. For some strange and unknown reason, peanut butter swirl brownies have been on my mind the past few weeks so I went scouring the Internet to see what I could come up with. This is what I finally decided to try...

Michelle's Peanut Butter Marbled Brownies.

2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk

1 cup butter, melted
2 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 eggs
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease one 9x13 inch baking pan.

2. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, peanut butter, 1/4 white sugar, 1 egg, and milk until smooth. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, mix together melted butter, 2 cups white sugar, and vanilla. Mix in the remaining three eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; mix into the batter. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Remove 1 cup of the chocolate batter. Spread the remaining batter into the prepared pan. Spread the peanut butter filling over the top. Drop reserved chocolate batter by teaspoonful over the filling. Using a knife, gently swirl through the top layers for a marbled. effect.

5. Bake for 35- 40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out almost clean. Cool completely, then cut into bars.


This was a pretty good recipe one that I would definitely make again but try several different things to see if I can improve on it.

1.) I had an 8 ounce block of cream cheese and didn't feel like cutting off and storing the extra two ounces (I remembered what happened the last time we stored the 'leftover' portion). Next time I will most certainly use the six ounces that the recipe calls for. The brownies were almost to 'rich' and not 'peanut-buttery' enough... I'm a thinkin' it was the extra cream cheese.

2.) Also, just out of curiosity, I will melt the butter and sugar together on the stove instead of melting the butter and then adding everything to it. This also means I'll mix the brownie batter up by hand instead of using the mixer. They always seem to be better when they are done 'on the stove', so to speak.

I may search the Internet some more before I finally decide on 'THE' recipe... but maybe inspiration will strike causing me to get creative and figure out how to take the 'tried and true' recipe and add the perfect peanut butter mixture to it!!! Now THAT sounds great!!! :o)

Enjoy!!!

5 comments:

Sarah said...

Do these ever look and sound good! Thank you for sharing the recipe, Ashley! I look forward to trying them. :)

Ashley said...

These do sound very delicious, Ashley!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!

It was fun to talk this morning!!

Have a wonderful afternoon!!

Kim said...

Thank you!!!! I can't wait to try these.

Ashley said...

Thank you for all of your comments!! I hope they turn out even tastier for you than when I made them! Happy baking!
~Ashley

A Joyful Heart said...

They look wonderful! Here is a brownie recipe that I found a long while ago, they are almost too good! :) You can see it here: http://southernskies1.blogspot.com/2009/06/extreme-chocolate-fudge-brownies_21.html