Friday, September 19, 2008

"Truly the BEST Brownies Ever"!

For years I have wanted to have a wonderful brownie recipe that was both easy, quick to put together, and absolutely delicious... I think I've finally found it! Not only is it everything that I wanted but it is also the only brownie recipe that I've made that comes out with a flaky top! Flaky tops are like the icing on the cake to us! It signifies that the brownies are exquisite!
Without any further ado let me give you the recipe.
I wish I could have gotten a fresh from the oven picture, but I can't seem to remember to do so. This is taken AFTER everyone has partaken of a brownie or two.
1 c. Butter
2 c. Sugar
4 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
3/4 c. Cocoa
1 c. Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
2T. Instant Coffee
1/4-1/2 c. Chocolate Chips.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 inch pan with no-stick spray and set aside. Melt butter. Add to sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and coffee. Add cocoa powder. Mix until just moistened. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Add to sugar mixture. Add chocolate chips and stir until just mixed thoroughly. Pour into greased pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.

"Learning the art of stirring without flour erupting everywhere"
One thing that I have been doing differently is to melt the butter and the sugar together on the stovetop; until the sugar crystals have broken down somewhat. I'm pretty sure this is what gives the brownies a flaky top, but I'm not sure. Experiment and see what you think!

I am spending this weekend watching some children that I haven't seen in several years and I think we are going to have a wonderful time! We have allot of catching up to do! I would appreciate your prayers for us (me and kids).
I shall return Monday with a "The House that Trevor is Building" update, hopefully, and maybe even have a few other things to share. So until then, have a wonderful weekend!

8 comments:

Amber said...

Oooo, yum, Ashley - that looks good! I've never succeeded well at brownies either, and my problem was also "no flaky top." I hope to give this recipe a try soon. Thank you for sharing it!

And you're doing better than I am; lately, I haven't managed to get ANY pictures of food before it's gone. :)

A Heart of Praise said...

I love brownies!!!!! We also recently came across a wonderful recipe that has the flaky top and all. :) It's somewhat similar to this one only it does not call for cocoa, and has more chocolate chips. :) I was so excited to find it!! But I will probably be giving this recipe a try as well, it looks delicious! [smile]

~Emily :)

Anonymous said...

Hmmmm I smell an engagement -- oh, maybe its the brownies.

Ashley said...

Amber- I do hope you will be able to get a flaky toped batch of brownies soon! I always associated box mixes with flaky tops, so you can imagine my excitement when I found that I could make flaky tops from scratch!! :o)

Emily- Oh, do give this recipe a try!! It's wonderful! Let me know what you think too!

Anonymous- I think you are smelling brownies! Nothing else is in wafting through the air here! :o)

~Ashley

Sarah said...

Oh, Ashley! The brownies look scrumptious! I, too, have been looking for a brownie recipe, so will be sure to try this one. Thank you for sharing!

How did your weekend go watching the children? I hope well!

Ashley said...

I heartily hope that you enjoy this recipe Sarah!
My weekend went really well and extremely fast! The children were so much fun and well behaved so we had a wonderful time! I'm hoping to post a little bit of it later on today.
~Ashley

Kim said...

Ashley,

I had to learn to cook from scratch when I came to the mission field and one thing I sorely missed was brownies. I always ask for a box mix when someone comes our way. I have never been able to find a brownie recipe that I liked. My daughter made these tonight and they were absolutely delicious! Better than a box mix! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe.

Ashley said...

I'm thrilled that the brownies were such a hit with y'all Mrs. Melton! Thank you for letting me know for it was such an encouragement to me!
~Ashley