Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Thoughts...

As I was reading Matthew 27, I was struck with verses thirty-eight through forty-four...
"38-And there were two thieve crucified with him, one on the right hand, and another on the left.
39-And they that passed by, reviled him, wagging their heads,
40-And saying, Thou that destroyest the Temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself: if thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.
41-Likewise also the high Priests mocking him, with the Scribes, and Elders, and Pharisees, said,
42-He saved others, but he cannot save himself: if he be the king of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe in him.
43-He trusted in God, let him deliver him now, if he will have him: for he said, I am the Son of God.
44-The self same thing also the thieves which were crucified with him, cast in his teeth."

In addition to being in excruciating pain while on the cross, Jesus endured scorn and mockery. I had never even considered that people might have scorned Him while He was in agony. I can only imagine how it must have felt to be scorned while suffering...
To make these verses even more revealing, I have been playing a piece whose words fit so perfectly which I will share below... To have a song fit so well with what I had been reading and pondering was a special blessing. The passage in Matthew has come alive and will not soon be forgotten!

"O Love Divine"

O love divine, amazing love,
That brought to earth from heaven above
The Son of God for us to die,
That we might dwell with Him on high.


He died for you, He died for me,
And shed His blood to make us free.
Upon the cross of Calvary,
The Savior died for me.


For us a crown of thorns He bore:
For us a robe of scorn He wore.
He conquered death and rent the grave,
And lives again our souls to save.

He died for you, He died for me,
And shed His blood to make us free.
Upon the cross of Calvary,
The Savior died for me.


O wand'rer come, on Him believe,
His grace by faith receive,
Awake, arise and hear Him call,
The feast is spread for all.

He died for you, He died for me,
And shed His blood to make us free.
Upon the cross of Calvary,
The Savior died for me.

5 comments:

Updated by Lila Huggins (grandmother) said...

Thank you for this beautiful post.

God Bless You,
Miss Lila in Atlanta

Sarah said...

I would agree with Miss Lila, Ashley . . . this is a beautiful post! Reading your thoughts and then the words to the hymn filled my heart with thanksgiving to the Lord. What amazing love, mercy and grace that He has given to us! How very much we have to thank and praise Him for!

A Joyful Heart said...

Lovely poem, and pictures, thanks for sharing!

Ashley Sebo said...

Ashley, I do love that song!

Have a good week!

Hugs!

Ashley said...

Miss Lila- You are welcome.. Thank you for your comment.

Sarah- We do have so much to thank the Lord for. Salvation and His continuing work in us stands out the most to me.

Under Southern Skies- You are welcome!

Ashley- I noticed that you enjoy the "Hear My Prayer" CD... it is one of my favorites from The Wilds!
Have a terrific week as well!
~Ashely