Monday, September 8, 2008

A Book Review

I have begun to re-read through all of my Lamplighter books just to refresh my memory as to what each story deals with. I started with "The Spanish Brothers" by Deborah Alcock and I will confess that I didn't expect to come to the end the book feeling convicted and challenged myself.


Set during the Spanish Inquisition, the book begins with a childhood scene between two brothers which reveals the most important boyhood dream that they have, and as a result we see it all throughout the book. The book swiftly moves into the adult lives of both brothers- one becoming a soldier as the other studies for the catholic church. Both brothers are bound by a strong chord of love that makes them close friends even though they are so different. As the book progresses we rejoice as both come to know Christ as their Lord and Saviour and we see their love grow for the One who gave all! However, they are Christians living in the midst of the Spanish Inquisition and witness first hand the horrors that go with the period. What is going to happen to "The Spanish Brothers"?
As I read I saw how real the Gospel was to these Spanish Christians. They were willing to die for Christ, if that is what He would have them do, and any fear that they may have of being caught in secret worship was over ruled by the thought that "He (Christ) gave all". I was convicted of my own lack of "simple trust" in all that the Lord sends my way and challenged to seek the Lord in a new way!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing this review, Ashley! It certainly makes one want to read the book! This book has now been added to my 'wish list'! :)