Sunday, August 31, 2008

A Hymn for Sunday

Day by Day
Words by: Carolina S. Berg, 1832-1903; translated by Andrew L. Skoog, 1856-1934
Music by: Oscar Ahnfelt, 1813-1882

Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here:

Trusting in my Father's wise bestowment,

I've no cause for worry or for fear.

He whose heart is kind beyond all measure

Gives unto each day what He deems best-

Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,

Mingling toil with peace and rest.


Ev'ry day the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour:

All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,

He whose name is Counselor and Pow'r.

The protection of His child and treasure

Is a charge that on Himself He laid:
"As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.


Help me then in ev'ry tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,

That I lose not faith's sweet consolation
Offered me with-in Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E'er to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days the moments fleeting,

Till I reach the promised land.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

How I love this hymn, Ashley! Thank you for sharing! The photos are just beautiful! I especially like the sunflower one. :)

Ashley said...

You are welcome Sarah!