Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Book Review

I recently added "The Children of Cloverley" by Hesba Stretton to my Lamplighter Book collection. Since I've finished my cross-stitch project (pictures coming after I get it framed!) I've had a little time to read in the evenings and chose to start this book. As I began to read, I realized that I had bought a real treasure for in each and every chapter I was pointed to God; not that other Lamplighter books don't point you to the Lord, but this one made me sit and think about His goodness is everything.


Ben and Annie are siblings whose Mother has recently passed away and whose Father is fighting in the Civil War. They have been sent to live with relatives in England as there is no one readily available in the States to care for them. Before their Mother died and in a letter which she wrote them to be read after her death, she impressed on them the need to do the will of the Lord; this theme runs through the book.
As they begin to understand that the things that have happened are the will of their Heavenly Father and submit their own wills to Him, they begin to have a profound influence on those around them. Hope springs up among the coal miners, those who have become "laid back" in their faith are given a fresh perspective, and some are even saved! As you read, you will begin to understand what doing the will of God is, submitting to the duties and trials that come your way.
This is a wonderful book and, as usual, I highly recommend it!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Your description of this book, Ashley, makes me want to read it again! I am glad you enjoyed it! :)

Ashley said...

I'm contemplating reading it again in the next few weeks Sarah. I couldn't believe the way this little book made me think... Wow!
~Ashley